Sunday, January 4, 2009

If it weren't for the last minute, I'd never get anything done...

So... Let's see. Its about 10pm Sunday night. I leave Tuesday. Anyone who knows me even a little can probably guess what I'm doing right now-- Procrastinating. My packing process has taken over my room (which oh-so-conveniently now doubles as my mother's office) and my sister's room... as well as part of the upstairs hallway. I'm not really sure how this happened. But in the spirit of continuing my procrastination I'm starting a blog (today's festivities have already included lunch with Danielle, dropping in on the Dreyers, and dying a dress dark red in the bathtub...).

Anyway, my journey is weird in a lot of ways. Dubai itself is pretty new and uncharted in the minds of most Americans. On top of that, I'm the first study abroad student from IU to go there, and then there're current world conflicts to take into account, etc., etc. Hopefully I'll be able to keep up with this thing and fill everyone in on life in the Middle East.

Preparing to leave has been exhausting and frustrating at times, yet also completely exhilirating. The fact that I'll be living halfway around the world by the middle of this week hasn't really clicked in my head yet. I feel so lucky to be able to do what I'm about to do, but leaving everything behind is tough.... Maybe a lot of my present difficulties can simply be attributed to the fact that I'm not packed, but it'll get done.

Actually. I'm way further ahead in the packing game than I should be. Natalie came over today and literally went through the piles of panic-attack-enducing havoc I'd set aside to pack, took out all the stuff I didn't need and then, I kid you not, PACKED MY SUITCASE. I don't actually deserve this kind of a friend, but I'm eternally grateful nonetheless. So I've got one bag packed. Maybe the next one will pack itself? No? Really??

The reactions I've gotten to my choice of study abroad locale have been all over the spectrum. Some people have never heard of Dubai or the UAE-- a lady working in the Office of the Registrar at IU was fully convinced that Dubai was in Italy. A good number of people also confuse it with Mumbai, which then leads to a conversation about terrorism. But then again, when people do understand where I'm going, that topic still comes up every time. Some people think its awesome and are really excited and ask tons of questions or tell me things I should see and do, and others must think I'm going straight into the middle of a battlefield. Regardless, almost everyone to whom I've said goodbye has bid me adieu with something along the lines of "don't get killed" or "don't get blown up". Its very disheartening that whenever people hear the word "Arab" or "Muslim" their thoughts immediately go to terrorism. I hope that by sharing my experiences I can convey the beauty and richness of Arab and Muslim culture and traditions.

Oh! And you all should definitely definitely send me mail in Dubai! My address will be:
Samantha Hutt
Female Dorm
The American University in Dubai
P.O. Box 28282
Dubai, United Arab Emirates

I'll also have AIM (sammo524), skype (samantha.hutt), email (samhutt@indiana.edu) and facebook. So you truly have no excuse not to keep in touch! I'm not 100% on the phone number situation yet, but I'll post it on here when I know.

I hope this blog can serve as a way for me to share my perspectives, experiences, adventures and antics abroad with my family and friends. Keep it real, guys! I love you and miss you already! Happy New Year!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment